Waukee Area Historical Society
Waukee (Images of America) Book - Shipped
In 1869, Gen. Lewis Addison Grant and Maj. William Ragan purchased the land around the Des Moines Valley Railroad bed owned by Cyrus W. Fisher in Walnut Township. A plat map was drawn, and Waukee began. The Des Moines Valley Railroad was completed in June 1869, and Waukee was incorporated in 1878. Work, family, and church were the centers of life, and agriculture was predominant in Walnut Township. The Harris Coal Mine opened in 1920 and closed in 1928. The Shuler Coal Mine, opened in 1921, employed 500 men and closed in 1949. Community events are still held at the historic Triangle. Waukee's first school, facilitated in 1870, was held in the Presbyterian church. Today, Waukee is the fastest-growing school district in Iowa. On April 16, 2014, the Waukee City Council unveiled plans for Kettlestone, a 1,500-acre mixed-use development that will include an outdoor town center, housing, retail space, green space, trails, and an amphitheater.